Rocker belts out pop


April 23, 2007
I once had this roommate who dubbed himself as the ultimate rocker. He despised all music genres that weren’t rock like ballads, RnB, and most especially pop music. Not wanting to tag him as a poser, I believed him but I always thought that his obsession was too overblown. One time, listening to the radio I came upon a station playing the sappy “Stop” by the defunct Spice Girls. My rocker roommate arrived as the song was about to hit the chorus hook. Then when it did, what did he do? He sang along! With powerful, performance level voice he sang, “Stop right now, thank you very much. I need somebody with a human touch,” complete with the sustained pa-cute of the last line. He even sang it with some requisite dance moves.


Then, after realizing his mistake, he sternly told me to change the station because according to him, the song was so baduy and corny. Well, I did change the station but at that moment I had seen and painfully heard enough to prove that his alleged rakista persona was just a huge pile of bullshit!

ROBERT RANCHEZ, BY EMAIL
ILLUSTRATION BY MIKKE GALLARDO

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Share/Bookmark

RECOMMENDED